Building the future, restoring the past.
We remain true to the same principles on which our company was founded over a hundred years ago: providing superior service to our clients, putting safety first, creating opportunities for our people, delivering exceptional work.
The Company was founded
Pennell and Wiltberger Engineering was founded in 1936 by Mr. Howard Pennell and Mr. Constant Wiltberger. Supported by the Quaker community of Philadelphia, the firm specialized in mechanical and electrical system engineering for hospitals, schools and hotels.
The firm was incorporated
The firm was incorporated in the early 1950’s and was named formally Pennell and Wiltberger, Inc. The firm focused on the engineering of building systems for public and private schools, colleges, and hospitals. Mr. Pennell and Mr. Wiltberger sold their ownership to three of their staff members in the early 1960’s, as the firm continued to prosper in the same markets.
Majority ownership sold
In 1985, majority ownership was sold to the third generation of owners, at which time the firm grew to over 100 full time employees providing engineering services for hospitals, pharmaceutical manufacturing and research, universities, and energy management services.
In 2000, over 40% of stock ownership (retiree of major partner) was transferred to an ESOP. With an emphasis on automating not only drafting but engineering calculations, PWI experienced a reduction in staffing to the 40-50 FTE level, while producing equivalent billings.
Energy commodity procurement
From 2000 to present, energy commodity procurement services were formally added (licensed brokers in multiple states — PA, NJ, NC, OH) to support clientele, along with PWI’s expanded engineering of CHP plants for hospitals and colleges. PWI started purchasing services in 1988, including internationally. Licensing as brokers was not required until about 2000.